Stored Product Insect pest management solutions from Rentokil
Since stored product insects are normally found in food and products meant for human consumption, the products in question must be removed and destroyed in such a manner that their destruction will not disperse the infestation. Alternately the products must be treated in such a way that presents no risk to the end product, but that eliminates the pest problem entirely.
Rentokil’s professional pest control services can help your business with effective management, ensuring minimum disruption to your operation and full compliance with health and safety and any food legislation obligations.
Rentokil’s pest management process
To ensure that your pest problem is dealt with most effectively, we provide solutions that focus on three key areas:
Prevention of Stored Product Insects
Prevention solutions can be implemented as a first line of defense to ensure that an infestation is avoided:
- Since warmer temperatures can accelerate pests’ development, the temperature of storage facilities should remain at a level of 16 C and R/H at 30% or less.
- Hygiene and housekeeping practices should be maintained at all times. Ensure spillages, food materials and waste are cleaned immediately, and dust regularly.
- All stock / food material should be stored off the floor and away from walls to facilitate cleaning and inspections.
- Keep raw materials in robust and or airtight packaging.
- Install tight fitting insect screens or screen doors.
- Waste management: ensure that a policy of sealed bagging of all waste is in place; that waste skips are cleaned before delivery; and the skips are kept closed except when waste is being added.
Inspections and ongoing monitoring
If left undetected, pest infestations can rapidly spread to other areas of your premises. Ongoing monitoring of the following should be part of an integral pest management system:
- Inspect incoming raw materials for evidence of pest activity in an area away from the main storage area. If pests are found, the shipment should be immediately rejected and returned to the supplier.
- Traps and lures must be widely used for monitoring and locating infestations inside premises.
- Install light traps in all internal areas of the premises to control and monitor insects. Data recorded can also help monitor stored product pests.
- In addition to our inspections, we recommend that your staff also perform routine monitoring to ensure early detection of any pest problem.
Professional Stored Product Insect control treatment
Rentokil offers various targeted pest control treatments to deal with a stored product insect infestation. Some of the treatments include:
- Precision Spraying: targeted crack and crevice treatments can be useful to get rid of stored product pests in a structural environment. The success is dependent on adequate access and cleaning of loose or impacted residues. Only approved materials can be used with deference to preventing product contamination.
- Fumigation: This the use of gaseous substances (fumigants) that are toxic to - and therefore kill all life stages of - stored product pests in raw material or product. Fumigation must be done in gas proof enclosures to contain the gas for long enough to achieve mortality.
If you have spotted the above signs of a stored product insect infestation, contact Rentokil to protect your reputation and put in place a solution to keep these pests out of your business.