Hotels are adopting technology to improve the customer experience, stand out from the competition and improve efficiency in hotel operations. This includes technology-enabled systems such as automated check-in and check-out, keyless and card-less access, energy management, online access and services for guests via apps. Hotels are also using data to get more insights into their guests so they can deliver a more personal experience.
At Rentokil we have combined our decades of experience in protecting businesses from pests with the research and development capabilities of our Global Technical Centre to develop an advanced system for pest monitoring and control using connected technology: PestConnect.
This can be used as part of an integrated pest management system supported by our highly trained technicians to enable hotels to effectively prevent and control pests.
But first, why is it so important to invest in high quality pest prevention?
Threat from pests
Many types of pest can walk, crawl or fly into hotels, attracted by food and shelter, or be carried in deliveries and even by the guests themselves. Pests can infest even the most luxurious hotels — where reputation is paramount — if there are not effective monitoring and control measures in place.
Bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, flies, rats and mice can ruin a guest’s stay by giving irritating bites, creating bad smells, causing illness and creating a bad impression. This is also likely to result in negative comments spreading through social media, especially travel and holiday sites such as Tripadvisor, resulting in reputational damage and loss of business.
How rodents can damage hotel businesses
Rodents, in particular, can cause damage to buildings and goods. Independent research commissioned by Rentokil found that rats are the world’s most destructive pest and can have a serious impact on businesses, especially those handling food.
The damage caused by rats and mice includes:
- Damage to buildings and fixtures by gnawing: rats and mice are incessant gnawers as they have to wear down their constantly growing teeth. The most common problem is damage to electrical equipment and electric cables, which can cause fires. They will also gnaw woodwork, masonry and plastic to gain access to shelter and food
- Contamination along their runs, nesting places and feeding places with urine, droppings, and filth. Rodents can carry many types of microorganism that cause serious diseases, such as Salmonellosis, Leptospirosis, Toxoplasmosis, Lyme disease, rat-bite fever
- Damage to food, containers and packaging, leading to loss of stock
- contamination of food with droppings, urine and filth, risking illness for guests and staff handling food
- Rodents also carry ectoparasites, including ticks, fleas, lice and mites, which can bite hotel guests and staff and cause allergic reactions. They are therefore also vectors for the diseases that these pests carry
Hotels need to have an effective policy to prevent rodents causing damage to your buildings, business and reputation. Rentokil offers a range of smart products and services that can ensure your business remains pest free.
Smart technology for pest control
PestConnect is a system of connected devices that detect, capture or humanely kill a variety of pests using traps, bait stations and monitoring units.
The devices have sensors that detect pests and send data automatically via a dedicated wireless network to a cloud storage system. This data is then available to our technicians and customers, who can access it through our customer portal, myRentokil. So as soon as a rodent is detected customers can receive an alert and find out where the pest checked in.
The PestConnect portfolio consists of:
- RADAR Connect for mice: captures mice, contains them in a chamber, kills them gently and humanely using CO2 gas and maintains hygiene by preventing contamination of the surrounding area
- AutoGate Connect for rats: a patented system that intelligently controls access to poison bait, only allowing access to the bait when a rat is detected, complying with European regulations governing the use of pesticides.
- Cage Connect for wild mammals: traps live wildlife in an effective and humane way and sends an automatic alert so technicians can respond quickly to remove the live animal from the customer site
Our customer portal, myRentokil, presents the data from the cloud storage system and gives real time information on pest activity. It provides customers with a powerful data management and analytics system:
- Detailed records of pest activity: locations of activity, and site plans with complete activity history
- Reports that can be tailored to your specifications based on pest activity, Rentokil technician recommendations, visits, and material usage.
- recommendations from our technicians to help you continuously improve your pest prevention program
- Interactive site plans showing all the devices and inspection points throughout your site
- Tools to help you manage your pest control program: a summary of the current status of your pest control program across your property, including across multiple sites
- Proof-of-service report that captures all visit details a technician records during their visit
Integrated pest management
These solutions give hoteliers unique and powerful tools to maintain high standards of pest control and hygiene and comply with any legislative and internal reporting requirements.
They can be provided as part of the Rentokil integrated pest management (IPM) service that is the most efficient and effective way to protect your business.
Rentokil uses a five-stage IPM process:
- Monitor: using PestConnect system
- Alert: through our customer portal, myRentokil
- Respond: a Rentokil technician will arrange a site visit with you
- Report: all pest activity data and technician reports are available on myRentokil
- Optimise:the technician recommends measures to improve the IPM strategy
Integrated Pest Management is the best way to maintain a pest free environment.