Are you an entomophagy virgin? Then get your teeth stuck into our Chocolate Chirp Cookies!
Made using cricket flour and dry roasted crickets, these cookies are a brilliant way to ease yourself into the wide world of entomophagy (eating insects). A healthy alternative to regular chocolate chip cookies, packed full of protein and superbly delicious!
To make these delicious chocolate chip cookies you will need:
- 1 Â¼ cups of flour
- 1 cup of cricket flour
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- Â¾ cup of caster sugar
- Â¾ cup of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 2 medium sized eggs
- 300 g of chocolate chips
- 1 cup of mixed nuts (optional)
- Â½ cup of dry roasted crickets
- Butter to grease the tray
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Backing tray
- Cooling rack
Follow these simple steps to make the best chocolate chip cookies you have ever tasted!
- Start off by preheating your oven to 190â„ƒ
- Mix together the butter, sugar, and the vanilla in the large mixing bowl and beat using the wooden spoon until smooth and creamy.
- Beat the eggs into the mixture and slowly add both types of flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add the nuts, insects and chocolate chips into the mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed in.
- Using a small bit of butter grease your baking tray so the cookie mixture does not stick when baking.
- Place rounded size teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking tray and space them evenly apart from one another.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes.
- Once the cookies have finished baking, remove them from the oven and place them on a cooling rack and let them rest.
If youâ€™ve tried making these cookies yourself, send us a picture on instagram using the hashtag #pestaurant, or send us a tweet to @rentokil – weâ€™d love to hear from you.
Interested in getting your teeth stuck into some creepy crawlies? Then the Pestaurant cookbook for you! Packed full of delicious recipes using edible insects and its completely free!
Download the Pestaurant Cookbook here!