As the rainy season continues, many pests are trying to seek shelter indoors and your home or car could be the perfect location. During these times, it is important to protect your home and vehicle to prevent creepy crawlies from giving you or a family member a nasty surprise.
Although pest infestations can occur in any part of your home, it is still important to know the key hot spots for pest activity. Ensure blow areas are clean and regularly inspected:
- Around, behind and inside kitchen appliances
- Underneath kitchen sinks and inside cabinets
- In and around rubbish bins
- Storage rooms and wardrobes
- Roof cavities and attics
Stop pests from entering your home
Now that you are aware of the key hot spots, here are some simple tips to help keep them out:
- Install fly-screens for all windows
- Install bristle stips for doors to external areas
- Seal off all cracks or crevices found in walls, floors and ceilings which serve as ideal access points for pests
- Ensure waste is disposed of regularly and all garbage bins have tightly closing lids
- Store all food materials in containers/bins that can be tightly shut
- Get your home treated professionally with pest prevention treatments
Prevent pest outbreaks in your garden
Gardens can act as a giant magnet for pests. It’s full of food, places to live and breeding areas. Below are some tips that could help you reduce pest numbers in your garden:
- Keeping lawns short and gardens well maintained to reduce harbourages for pests
- Ensure plants are not overwatered and there is no stagnant water at the bottom of pots.
- Rake leaves into piles and discards them as these are susceptible to pest invasion
- Do not overfill outdoor bins and ensure all bins have tight-fitting lids
Prevent Pests from entering your car
Finding a spider or cockroach in your car while driving down a highway is not ideal and extremely dangerous. Here are some tips on how to prevent this:
- Avoid parking under big trees
- Make sure the inside of the car is regularly vacuumed and cleaned
- Do not leave food and beverage remains in the car.
Still worried about pests in your home?
If you have or suspect a pest problem or would like to know more about protecting your home from pests, contact us today.